Wednesday, 13 February 2013

How To Language

Case #1 is welfare stuff and there's not often much positive to write on it. The others aren't much better, considering that Case #3 is now defunct(the complaint has failed and I doubt the Trust will seriously consider an accusation that the BBC complaints process is systematically unfair) and Case #2 was started because where I live- North Yorkshire, is the last county in the whole of England which up until last year had done absolutely nothing required of them under the statutory guidelines following the Autism Act 2009.

But there is progress in that regard now. There has been some consultation for moving towards statutory Autism services(the first ever in this country), although I expect they'll try integrating it into existing services for those with learning disabilities. The consensus at our consultation meeting was that this would be a tremendously bad idea. A married couple even pointed out that unlike most local authorities, North Yorkshire is sitting on a lot of cash they're not making too much noise about. There is expected to be a semi-permanent consultation group formed in the near future and I'm going to try and get myself on it.

In the meantime, funding for my placement with my support group has been granted- against all expectations. It just needs a financial assessment to determine how much I must contribute towards it. My placement has been unfunded for two years and this has meant there has been a reluctance on the part of the Bradford-based organisation to expand their activity in our area. Now that things are looking a bit more secure, we organised a display in the local main library which went up last week, to raise awareness of both Autism and the weekly support group meeting. We might be having a new member come soon. But I am ambivalent about the effectiveness of Autism awareness- namely that it tends to explain Autism from the point of view of non-Autistic people. When it isn't written by non-Autistics, it is written by Autistics being directed by non-Autistics. My contribution to the display was a letter explaining my feelings about it, which predictably then had to be changed- demonstrating precisely my point about the unstoppable urge non-Autistics have to direct the activity of Autistics. I might post the notice, both as I wrote it before and how I had to re-write it afterwards.

The contributions I'm more proud of are my beautifully shambolic and amateurish illustrations. Since the group began I have had during the meetings access to 1- a whiteboard, 2- a marker pen and 3- an audience that 'gets it' or doesn't care if they don't 'get it'. For the next week I'll post the panels used in the display and explain what they're about. This one speaks for itself:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment